We are currently developing the 2024 syllabus. In the meantime, check out the 2022 syllabus below.
Week 0: Preparation
- Friday, June 10: Please attend open office hours if you have questions on installation or preparation.
Week 1: Models and Data
- Monday, June 13: Intro to Program + Student Research Presentations (Cara Brook)
- Wednesday, June 15: Models and Data lecture + Exploring and Visualizing Data in R, tutorial (Cara Brook)
- Mentor/Mentee Goal: Define research questions for project
Week 2: Intro to simple statistics
- Monday, June 27: Introduction to simple statistics (Kacie Ring)
- Wednesday, June 29: Introduction to linear regression (Sophia Horigan)
- Mentor/Mentee Goal: Explore individual datasets + Refine research questions
Week 3: Intro to mixed modeling
- Monday, July 11: Intro to mixed modeling lecture (Emily Ruhs / Dave Klinges)
- Wednesday, July 13: Intro to mixed modeling lecture tutorial (Emily Ruhs / Dave Klinges)
- Mentor/Mentee Goal: Outline plan for research analyses on independent work
Week 4: Community biodiversity analyses
- Monday, July 25: Community biodiversity analysis lecture (Katie Young)
- Wednesday, July 27: Community biodiversity analysis tutorial (Katie Young)
- Mentor/Mentee Goal: Outline 3-5 figures and accompany analyses for final paper
Week 5: Building and fitting compartmental models in ecology
- Monday, August 8: Building and fitting compartmental models in ecology lecture (Katie Gostic)
- Wednesday, August 10: Building and fitting compartmental models in ecology tutorial (Katie Gostic)
- Mentor/Mentee Goal: Begin work on figures for final paper
Week 6: Model evaluation and comparison
- Monday, August 22: Model evaluation and comparison lecture (Sam Sambado/Tatum Katz)
- Wednesday, August 24: Model evaluation and comparison tutorial (Sam Sambado/Tatum Katz)
- Mentor/Mentee Goal: Conclude Figure 1 for final paper
Week 7: Mid-Session Workshop
After courses conclude, we will move to once-a-month full group check-ins and research progress reports as a whole class. Mentors and mentees will continue to meet on their own time throughout this stage of the research to advance research progress on student projects.
Week 8: Research updates
- In-person office hours with Cara Brook on Tuesday, September 27 from 7-10 am Madagascar time at the Madagascar Biodiversity Center in Tsimbazaza!
- Cara will be giving a seminar following in-person office hours at 10 am at the MBC. You are all invited to attend!
- Mentor/Mentee Goal: Conclude Figures 3-4 for final paper
Week 9: Research updates
- Monday, October 24: no meeting this week
- Mentor/Mentee Goal: Conclude Figure 5 for final paper (if applicable) + outline plans for writing manuscript
Week 10: Research updates
Week 11: Research updates
- Saturday, December 10-Saturday, December 17: C4C students attend E2M2 2022 for independent worktime with instructor support.
Week 12: Research updates
- Wednesday, January 4: Cara and Sophia available for in-person tutoring from 9am-4pm at Madagascar Biodiversity Center at Tsimbazaza. Please stop by with any questions!
Week 13: Research updates
- Wednesday, January 18: Cara available for in-person tutoring from 8am-4pm at Madagascar Biodiversity Center at Tsimbazaza.
Week 14: Research updates
Week 15: Research updates
Week 16: Research updates
Week 17: Research updates
Week 18: Research updates
- Students can access preparation materials and assignments here.
- All courses take place from 6:30-8pm Madagascar time (9:30-11am US CT) unless otherwise noted.
- Mentors and mentees should meet and/or discuss virtually (e.g. slack) on the off-weeks between courses to (1) address any confusion from the topics of the week and (2) guide progress on each student’s independent research project. Mentor-mentee assignments are available here.
- Training themes are listed by week of instruction. The syllabus can also be accessed on Google Sheets here.
- Each training theme is accompanied by a Mentor/Mentee Goal. These can can also be viewed on GoogleSheets here.
- All lectures are recorded and available for download in the Box folder here.